Friday, March 8, 2013

Proud of you Madam !

If you want something said, ask men. If you want something done, ask WOMEN. As we are celebrating international women's day let us have a look on the lives of few women in my country, my Mother India.


Let us see the life of Mrs. Muniyamma. She is in an orphanage near Chennai. She was in the chair sipping her evening tea when I went for the interview. I introduced myself and sat nearby. She took out a few biscuits and handed me over. She was born in the districts of ramnad. She got married at the age of sixteen and gave birth to three sons. She raised them all as champions. Her second son was in love when he was in his early twenties and she fought hard, against her community just to make her son happy. Her third son became such a drunkard and sold most of their properties. She was penniless when her third son died out of cancer. She went to her other two son's place and they fought for the house and left her alone. One of her cousin is paying for her for the old age home.
 She said just two lines for my interview "Kindly treat your mother well. She can replace everyone in your life but not even a single soul can replace her place even for a second. She is the one who wouldn't laugh behind your back when you say your weakness, she wouldn't complaint when you get mad, she wouldn't blame you when you are totally lost, but she would  be the only person who will fight the whole world just to make your life something worth speaking".


The next person I met regarding this interview was Miss. Anjali. She is a teacher in a school near chennai. She teaches for the blind kids. A woman who understands their problems teaches colors to them, who shows life to them, who understands their fear and struggles hard to make them comfortable. She was having her lunch when I started the interview. "Don't you have any other work Arvi?". I asked her about her view in Women's Day celebration.
Her Statement .. "Celebration? Yeah we can all celebrate this wonderful day, when there is nothing recieved from a girl's family in the day of marriage in the name of Dowry. We can celebrate it on the day when a girl can walk in a street at nine o clock with a headset , we can celebrate it when we really understand that a women's breast is a place where a child empties its thirst and a women's vagina is a place where a child comes into this world". 


The third person I met was a police officer . She was so stubborn not to mention her name. "Women's day? Well even today women in police department undergo sexual torture, weekly once. Let us celebrate women's day when all the schools and college girls are comfortable when they are traveling in a bus and when they sit inside a classroom when their teacher is absent. When there is a no girl with trembled eyes in a abortion hospital and a girl losing her life just because some random stranger is lustful. Just because he sees her as a sexual drainage, her life must not be crushed and she must not be made as a symbol of pettiness. Let us celebrate women's day when we respect women !" 

Finally, I met  Priya, a third standard kid to conclude my interview. She demanded an ice cream for this interview. "Women's day? The only woman I love is my mom. Everyday night my dad will come to home with a strange smell. As soon as he comes into my home, he would hit my mom asking for more money. She would bleed someday. With those bleeding lips she would cook for me, feed me, help me to complete my homework. She would hug me to sleep. Sometimes I will see her body shake, sometimes she would weep silently, sometimes she would gasp for breath , all she want in her life is me to be a doctor. Someday I will wear a white coat and stand in my class and make her happy. She is really great woman, I think it is her birthday that must be celebrated as a women's day".


Finally, I wished my friend "Happy Women's day" and all she said was, "Thank you Arvi, Wish you the same :P

4 comments: